Each child develops at their own pace. However, when your child is not meeting the milestone expected for their age, speech delays may be present. Speech delays occur when a child isn’t developing language and/or speech at the expected rate.
- What are its symptoms? Children with speech delays are often unable to do the following:
- Speak and understand simple words by 12-15 months old
- Trouble imitating sounds by 18 months old
- Produce words or short phrases spontaneously by 2 years old
- Speak in short, simple sentences by 3 years old
- Tell a simple story by 4-5 years old
- What causes speech delays in children?
Speech can be impacted by hearing loss. It is imortant to have a hearing screening before speech therapy begins to rule out any possible hearing loss.
- How are speech delays diagnosed?
To determine if your child has a speech delay, it’s best to consult your physician. Your doctor may recommend an evaluation by an audiologist for a hearing test and a speech therapist for a speech and language evaluation. Speech therapy is available in Milwaukie, Oregon. Speech therapy is an effective method of treatment to improve communication and vocal quality, as well as prepare your child for school.